Emptying the dishwasher this morning I noticed the unused go-mugs for our coffee and tea staring at me in the cupboard – like neglected favorite toys in a nursery. It got me thinking about all the things that used to be a part of my routines that I’m simply not using, doing or thinking about.
- a crowd squeezed around our dining room table
- filling up the gas tank
- nice clothes — actually, any clothes other than workout gear
- booking airline tickets
- getting stuck in traffic
- make-up — maybe I should make an effort for the Zoom calls, but meh
- classes at the gym
- driving up to my dad’s for the day
- the smell of popcorn in the movie theater
- juggling calendar conflicts
- doctor waiting rooms
- blow drying my hair — even washing it most days!
- cash for the housekeeper
- packing for flights to faraway places
- live theater performances
- checking out library books
- cramming to finish my book club book
- meeting friends for tea, lunch or dinner, or anytime at all
- sitting in a church pew
- … … …
- … …
I’ve been longing for a simplification of my life. Be careful what you wish for!